Our Path to Health
Chiropractic care is more than just making the pain disappear. It is about correcting, learning, understanding, and taking care of your body, to improve your quality of life. We aim to educate our patients about Chiropractic and other natural solutions to common health problems in order to motivate you to take a more active and responsible role in restoring and maintaining your own health as well as the people around you.
Your First Visit
Dr Marston will begin by becoming familiar with your health history to determine if your problem can be helped through chiropractic care. If it is, the doctor will perform a thorough exam. Your reflexes and ability to move may be checked followed by other standard orthopedic, neurologic and chiropractic tests. If necessary, X-rays may be taken. Once the doctor has all the needed information he will study the results and put together a care plan that is right for you.
During this visit Dr. Marston will explain what the results of your tests indicate and inform you of the care plan that is right for you. Now that you understand your condition, you and your doctor can move forward with care to correct the problem. Most care plans include chiropractic adjustments which help restore proper nervous system function and stimulate the healing process.
The Chiropractic adjustment, is the procedure the chiropractor uses to help restore joint mobility to hypo mobile joints. It is done by using a specific controlled thrust into the joint.
What Does Maintenance Look Like?
Visit frequency will be different for each person depending on your current health condition and long term goals. Once you complete the corrective care process of pain relief, strengthening and stabilizing, you will move into the maintenance phase. During corrective care, your visits are more frequent with more components to your treatments. During maintenance, your visits will be spread out with fewer components. Our intent and purpose is to help you reach your long term health goals.
In-Depth Look at Other Tools Dr. Marston Might Utilize to Get you Back To Being Your Best Self
• X-RAYS: At Florence-Carlton Chiropractic, x-rays are taken for a baseline study of the condition of the spine. This allows the doctor to understand and properly treat everyone’s condition individually. Dr. Marston will never guess at patients treatment. If advanced imaging, such as an MRI or CT, is necessary, the Dr. Marston will refer you to an imaging facility for study of the area in question.
• Spinal Decompression: You don’t have to live in debilitating pain. Whether you have low back pain, a pinched nerve, sciatica, neck pain, or a variety of symptoms related to damaged or degenerative discs, as well as syndromes of the lumbar and cervical spine, decompression therapy may be for you. Spinal decompression is a non-surgical traction-based treatment for herniated or bulging discs in the neck and lower back. Anyone who has back, neck, arm or leg pain may be helped by spinal decompression therapy. These conditions include herniated, protruding or bulging discs in the neck or lower back, spinal stenosis, sciatica or even failed surgery. Therapy sessions typically last 15 minutes, 3 times per week for up to 1 month, transitioning from passive to active treatments as you respond, with the most patients feeling pain relief with as few as 6-8 treatments. Most patients are released from treatment between 8-12 weeks. Treatment plans may very due to individual patient needs. Call today for your consultation.
• Custom Foot Orthotics: Orthotics are a great way to help with issues related to walking and alignment. Some of these include but are not limited to knee, foot and lower back pain. The need for orthotics is often related to an issue with the natural functioning of the foot. Orthotics will often help to realign the bones within the foot and ankle and therefore take pressure of other parts of the body such as the back, neck, shoulders and hips. In addition, orthotics will help with distributing your weight properly and take further pressure off of toes, bunions and other parts of the foot. Orthotics are really for anyone with an issue or discomfort relating to walking or imbalances in the body that are known to cause related pain. The great benefit of orthotics is that they can be worn on a daily basis and be utilized during most activities to take further stress of the body. Orthotics can often be prescribed by your chiropractor and can last well over a year in most cases. This is a great investment into your overall health and well being via a biomechanics standpoint. Ask Us About Getting Yourself Started With Orthotics Today!
• Ultrasound: Ultrasound is a therapy that is utilized in the office to handle injuries related to joints, muscle spasms, as well as most soft tissues. While it shares the same name, this ultrasound is not the same as the type of ultrasound utilized diagnostically to screen internally in the body. This ultrasound creates small sound waves that in effect vibrate and massage soft tissues and muscle. These sound waves do an excellent job in facilitating the body’s healing process in addition to decreasing scar tissue formation. Certain ultrasounds also create a heating effect to help relax the muscles or tightness in the body. This heat combined with the overall features of the ultrasound help to start the healing process at the most basic cellular level speeding up your road to recovery.
• Electrical Muscle Stimulation: Electrical Muscle Stimulation is an exceptional way to help the body in the healing process. This is accomplished by sending a very small electrical current into the affected soft tissue injury or muscle spasm. The therapy utilizes this current in an effort to help reduce swelling and release trigger points that may have the muscle locked up. It does this by helping the body to release natural relievers of pain often referred to as endorphins. This is a great therapy if there is a spasm in a back or neck muscle. It works well in relaxing the muscle and allowing it to return to its normal state rather quickly. Short therapy sessions are excellent at facilitating healing from acute and chronic pain.